Thursday 25 April 2013

Muuuuum, can we have a puppy please?

The majority of the mummies I know have stopped having babies. Instead many of their homes are now enjoying the pitter patter of tiny paws as a cute-as-you-like puppy joins the family. I have to admit I’m quite jealous. I would love to have a dog again – my faithful German Shorthaired Pointer died when my first child was a babe in arms. And that baby is now a seven-year-old daughter who is desperate for me to take the plunge again.

Officially the world's best dog - ever.
 
To be honest, I feel a little odd without a canine companion. This is probably because I was raised by dogs. Well, not literally – I don’t walk on all fours and greet my friends by sniffing their backsides (I don't) – but from age eleven I was raised alongside dogs. In a house that prioritises dogs and revolves around dogs. My parents breed, show, work, train and judge them. My mum spends her time organising dog events and attending them, promoting welfare and then discussing all this with like-minded pooch obsessives over the phone or Internet. Accordingly, my first ‘proper’ job was at Dog World, which produces Britain’s best-selling weekly canine newspaper (although I worked on a title about fish…).
But despite the fact I kinda want a dog and my daughter so very definitely wants a dog, I still feel some reluctance. I put this down to the fact that getting a dog is such a huge commitment. First you need the time and energy to be able to train a puppy properly, and then you need the time and energy to make sure the adult dog it grows into is taken care of properly. For maybe about 15 years! I haven’t even been married as along as that…
In the meantime, my daughter and I have spent hours poring over her dog breed encyclopaedia looking for a good-natured variety that won’t need excessive amounts of grooming or walking. While my heart belongs to pointers and vizslas (the breed I grew up with), realistically I don’t have the outdoors lifestyle and access to the acres of woodland that they need. At the moment the breed that seems most likely to suit us is the whippet. In general a whippet is lively but not too overwhelming for a household with very small members and visitors, his/her exercise needs are not extreme but still require you to go for a good walk twice a day and the short hair means the vacuuming won’t increase ten-fold. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

 
She won't be as pleased when she sees what they've done to her high heels...
 
But I remain hesitant (which must be torture for my optimistic offspring). So many days of my childhood were curtailed because of ‘the dogs’. Any teenage shopping trip was cut short to return to walking duties, friends could be reluctant to come round if they weren’t too keen on overzealous hounds jumping up and even when I suggested a date for my wedding there was a sigh because it clashed with an important dog show. Seriously.
 
Because, if you’re doing it right, being a dog owner is much the same as having a child. You made the decision to welcome it into your home and so the buck stops with you. If your dog chews up your shoes it’s less because he/she is a monster and more because you’ve left that dog unattended and bored for long enough it went to look for something to do. Chewing is something to do. If your dog howls so much the neighbours complain, you have to ask yourself where you were all that time. If your dog is fat, not only do you have to pick up the poo and the vet bills, you are to blame. It’s all about the guilt trip.

And that’s what I’m wondering. Do I really need to put myself under any more pressure? I don’t want to be the lady in the park with the unruly dog, any more than I want to be the parent with the disruptive child at school. It’s bad enough when your kids don’t listen to you – imagine standing in a field calling your dog’s name endlessly while it buggers off in the opposite direction. And I’m pretty sure you can’t bribe a dog to behave well in public by promising some extra pocket money.

But there’s definitely space in my heart for a dog – and surely it must just be a matter of time before my head comes round. I still talk to a lot of the dog owners at the park, and regularly get what I can only describe as ‘dog envy’ when there’s a new pup on the block, pulling at its lead, all big paws and enthusiastic eyes. One day, I tell myself, one day…
How about you - do you kids want a furry or feathery addition to the family? And have you succumbed? Let me know in the comment box below.

9 comments:

  1. Oh God - it is like you are writing down my thoughts!! We also spend hours poring over the dog bible... We are in a perpetual state of thinking we will get a dog someday... but in the meantime I am enjoying the freedom. My eldest thinks she is getting one for her birthday (which means I can procrastinate until November at least!) I really want one, but I have this feeling that I might regret it once I sign up for one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My delaying tactic seems to be all about timing. I just keeping saying to myself things like 'when the weather improves', 'once Tula is really settled at school', 'when we come back from the holiday'...

      Delete
  2. Loved this post... For me it's going to be very difficult as coming from a house that has always had animals, I have married a man really allergic to all animals it seems, and it's so difficult! My Mum has one of the dogs in your top picture though, so when we are back I pretend he's mine. And we do have a hamster now, which is better than nothing I guess... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. There's always the 'Mexican Hairless Dog'? And bizarely my mum also had a shot at breeding Lagotto's which never moult, so are suitable for allergy sufferers (your hubby can thank me later - arf!).
      http://www.lagottoromagnoloclubofgb.co.uk/

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    How about a miniature poodle or cross? A friend of mine has a whippet and struggles with obedience and also the hairs are a nightmare to clean as they are short and sharp so get stuck in fabric if that makes sense?
    Poodles are intelligent and don't shed.

    To be honest as we have two dogs they're not as much as a worry as one as you don't have to think it will be lonely if left and might bark etc etc as they have each other. We are due our first soon and will always have dogs, I think they're great for children to grow up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply below! I keep hitting the wrong button to reply to a post/comment. Doh!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for that bit of insider info. And yes, dogs are great for kids. When I was a working journo I often did 'pet' articles & there's loads of studies that say how beneficial they are in terms of immunity, healthy lifestyle and emotional maturity. Mmm, I'm liking the positives here...

    ReplyDelete